South Asian Travel Awards (SATA) has come to a conclusion with Maldives successfully being awarded 24 prestigious awards at the gala and awards ceremony held last Saturday night at the Equator Village in Addu City.
Over 450 contenders of the hospitality industry from Maldives, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan competed for awards in 34 categories in 10 segments at this years SATA.
Award winners have been selected both via online voting and evaluation by the panel of judges from August 13 to August 16, closely watched by official event auditor Crowe Horwath Maldives.
Maldives led the night with 24 awards, while India, with its fast-developing tourism sector, won seven regional awards, compared to the three it won in 2016.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka won less regional awards compared to the previous year. It had won eight regional awards at SATA 2016 but won four regional awards this year.
Nepal, which competed in SATA for the first time this year, won two regional awards. Bhutan, also a new participant to SATA won no regional awards this year.
Hospitality brands in South Asia were also given visitors choice awards. Maldives won awards from four out of the 11 visitors choice categories.
Participants of SATA 2017 were entertained with music and cultural dance items by locals at the gala and awards.
In addition to the SATA Awards and Gala, The three Day long function saw A Networking event- Opportunity and Conversation, A Cultural Festival - Island Festival and a green initiative - Remember Addu take place.
SATA Opportunity & Conversation Night, on 27th Oct 2017 at The Equator Village Maldives. Photo By Digital Studio.
Launched last year by Maldives-based event management company Highrise, SATA is the first ever regional travel awards endorsed by multinational associations, providing the tourism sector of the South Asian region with recognition towards their facilities and service excellence. It aims to encourage and raise service standards in the regions tourism industry.
The awards first edition, which wrapped up with a gala ceremony at the iconic Mount Lavinia Hotel in Sri Lanka, saw an overwhelming support with more than 260 nominations.
The announcement for the next host country for SATA was made during SATA 2017s gala and awards function held in Addu City, last Saturday night, by High Rises director, Ismail Hameedh.
Ismail said SATA was held with support and cooperation from a lot of parties. He said they planned on holding a third edition of SATA in India in 2018, based on the success of the awards in 2016 and 2017.
Regional awards won by Maldives at SATA 2017:
- Leading Airport Hotel: Hulhule Island Hotel (HIH)
- Leading Wellness and Spa Brand: Araamu Spa
- Leading Spa Hotel/Resort: Cinnamon Dhonveli
- Leading All-Inclusive Hotel and Brand: LUX Maldives
- Leading Wellness and Spa: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Adventure Service Provider: Q Adventures
- Leading Activity Water Sports Center: Best Dives Maldives
- Leading Tour Operator: Inner Maldives Holidays
- Leading Domestic Tourist Transport Provider (Air): Maldivian
- Leading PSA Service Provider: Voyages Maldives
- Leading GSA Service Provider: ACE Hardware
- Leading Liveaboard Brand: Voyages Maldives
- Leading Liveaboard: Scuba Spa Yang
- Leading Travel Agent: Voyages Maldives
- Leading Dive Center: Dive Ocean
- Leading Boutique Hotel/Resort: Amilla Fushi
- Leading Guesthouse/Tourist Inn: Reveries Diving
- Leading Dive Hotel/Resort: Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
- Leading Family Hotel/Resort: Sun Island Resort & Spa
- Leading Luxury Hotel/Resort: Soneva Jani
- Leading Romantic Hotel/Resort: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Designer Hotel/Resort: Cocoon Maldives
- Leading Beach Hotel/Resort: Summer Island
- Leading Marketed Hotel/Resort Brand: Adaaran Resorts
Regional awards won by India at SATA 2017:
- Leading Houseboat: Spice Routes Luxury Cruise
- Leading Houseboat Brand: Spice Routes Luxury Cruise
- Leading Meeting and Convention Center: BMICH
- Leading Hill Hotel/Resort: Carmelia Haven Resort & Spa
- Leading Heritage Hotel/Palace: Taj West End
- Leading Meeting and Conference Hotel: Confluence Banquets & Resorts
- Leading City Hotel: Taj West End
Regional awards won by Sri Lanka at SATA 2017:
- Leading Travel Technology: Makeyourtrip
- Leading Tourist Transport Provider (Land): Carsons Rent A Car
- Leading Lake Hotel/Resort: Cinnamon Citadel
- Leading CSR Program: Royal Palm Beach Hotel
Regional awards won by Nepal at SATA 2017:
- Leading Wildlife Hotel/Resort: Barahi Jungle Lodge
- Leading Adventure Hotel/Resort: Jagatpur Lodge by Annapurna
Please login to Comment